- How long does iodized table salt last? The answer depends to a large extent on storage conditions - store iodized table salt in a cool, dry area and keep tightly covered at all times.
- How long does iodized table salt last at room temperature? Properly stored, iodized table salt that has not been iodized will remain at best quality for about 5 years.
- Is iodized table salt safe to use after the "expiration date"? Yes, iodized table salt will remain safe to use indefinitely provided it has been stored properly and the package is undamaged - commercially packaged iodized table salt will typically carry a "Best By," "Best if Used By," "Best Before, or "Best When Used By" date but this is not a safety date, it is the manufacturer's estimate of how long the iodized table salt will remain at peak quality.
- Does iodized table salt spoil? Iodized table salt does not go bad, but the iodine content will decrease over time - the storage time shown is for best quality only.
- If iodized table salt changes color, is it still safe to use? Yes, after prolonged storage, iodized table salt may change color somewhat, but it will still be safe to consume if it has been stored properly.
Sources: For details about data sources used for food storage information, please click here