- How long do frozen crab cakes last? The precise answer to that question depends to a large extent on storage conditions - keep crab cakes frozen at all times.
- Properly stored, frozen crab cakes will maintain best quality for about 6-8 months in the freezer, although they will usually remain safe to eat after that.
- Are frozen crab cakes safe to eat after the expiration date on the package? Yes, if properly stored - commercially frozen crab cakes will typically carry a Best By," "Best if Used By," Best Before, or "Best When Used By" date but this is not a safety date, it is the manufacturer's estimate of how long the crab cakes will remain at peak quality.
- How long will frozen crab cakes remain safe to eat? Frozen crab cakes that have been kept constantly frozen at 0°F will keep safe indefinitely, as long as they have been stored properly and the package is not damaged.
- How long can you safely leave frozen crab cakes at room temperature? Frozen crab cakes should be discarded if left for more than 2 hours at room temperature, as bacteria grow rapidly at temperatures between 40 °F and 140 °F.
- How to tell if frozen crab cakes are no longer good? If dry spots or discoloration have developed on the frozen crab cakes, freezer burn has begun to set in - this will not make the crab cakes unsafe to eat, but it will harm the texture and taste.
Sources: For details about data sources used for food storage information, please click here