- How long does an unopened jar of sweet pickles last? The precise answer depends to a large extent on storage conditions -to maximize the shelf life of sweet pickles store in a cool, dry area.
- How long does an unopened jar of sweet pickles last at room temperature? Properly stored, an unopened jar of sweet pickles will generally stay at best quality for about 2 years.
- Are unopened sweet pickles safe to use after the "expiration date" on the jar? Yes, provided they are properly stored and the jar is undamaged - commercially packaged sweet pickles will typically carry a "Best By," "Best if Used By," "Best Before", or "Best When Used By" date but this is not a safety date, it is the manufacturer's estimate of how long the sweet pickles will remain at peak quality.
- Storage time shown is for best quality only - after that, the sweet pickles' texture, color or flavor may change, but in most cases, they will still be safe to consume if they have been stored properly, the jar is undamaged, and there are no signs of spoilage (see below).
- How can you tell if sweet pickles are bad or spoiled? The best way is to smell and look at the pickles: if sweet pickles develop an off odor, flavor or appearance, or if mold appears, they should be discarded.
Sources: For details about data sources used for food storage information, please click here