- How long do sour pickles last once opened? The precise answer depends to a large extent on storage conditions - to maximize the shelf life of opened sour pickles keep them refrigerated and tightly covered.
- How long do opened sour pickles last in the refrigerator? Sour pickles that have been continuously refrigerated will generally stay at best quality for about 1 year.
- Are opened sour pickles safe to use after the "expiration date" on the jar? Yes, provided they have been stored properly, the jar is undamaged, and there are no signs of spoilage (see below) - commercially packaged sour pickles will typically carry a "Best By," "Best if Used By," "Best Before", or "Best When Used By" date but this is not a safety date, it is the manufacturer's estimate of how long the sour pickles will remain at peak quality.
- The storage time shown for opened sour pickles is for best quality only - after that, the sour pickles' texture, color or flavor may change, but in most cases, they will still be safe to consume if they have been kept continuously refrigerated, the jar is undamaged, and there are no signs of spoilage (see below).
- How can you tell if opened sour pickles are bad or spoiled? The best way is to smell and look at the sour pickles: if the pickles develop an off odor, flavor or appearance, or if mold appears, they should be discarded.
Sources: For details about data sources used for food storage information, please click here