- The precise answer to the question “How long does cooked turkey last?” depends to a large extent on storage conditions — refrigerate within two hours of cooking; if turkey is stuffed, remove stuffing to a separate container before refrigerating or freezing leftovers.
- To maximize the shelf life of cooked turkey, refrigerate cooked poultry in shallow airtight containers or wrap tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- To further extend the shelf life of cooked turkey, freeze it; freeze in covered airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags, or wrap tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil or freezer wrap.
- How long does cooked turkey last in the freezer for safety purposes? The freezer time shown is for best quality only — foods kept constantly frozen at 0° F will keep safe indefinitely.
- How long does Thanksgiving turkey last at room temperature? Bacteria grow rapidly at temperatures between 40 °F and 140 °F; turkey should be discarded if left for more than 2 hours at room temperature.
- How to tell if cooked turkey is bad? The best way is to smell and look at the turkey: signs of bad turkey are a sour smell and a slimy texture to the cooked turkey; discard any turkey with an off smell or appearance, do not taste the turkey first.
Sources: For details about data sources used for food storage information, please