- Store in cool, dry area.
- Refrigeration is recommended in hot, humid conditions.
- Refrigeration may cause the oil to become cloudy and solidify, but this will not affect the quality or flavor — once the oil is brought back to room temperature, it will return to its normal consistency and color.
- Storage time shown is for best quality only — after that, the oil's texture, color or flavor may change, but in most cases, it will still be safe to consume if it has been stored properly.
- To determine if oil is still suitable for use, smell and taste it: If the oil has developed an off odor, flavor or appearance, it should be discarded for quality purposes.
- “Best By,” “Best if Used By,” and “Use By” dates on commercially packaged foods sold in the United States represent the manufacturer's estimate of how long the product will remain at peak quality — in most cases, the oil will still be safe to consume after that date, as long as it has been stored properly and the package is not damaged.
Sources: For details about data sources used for food storage information, please click here